Thursday, June 29, 2017

CM Yogi Adityanath's Interview On Nation Wants To Know With Arnab Goswami


Arnab Goswami: Thank you so much for joining Mr. Chief Minister...thank you so much for joining me Yogiji. This is the second episode of our show 'Nation Wants To Know,' and I've been wanting to connect you with our viewers for quite some time now. Firstly, I would want you to talk openly. People want to listen to you not me. They hear me all the time. People want to know your views. So first of all thank you very much.
Yogi Adityanath: Thank you.

Arnab Goswami: Many many congratulations on the work you have done in the first 100 days. Yogiji, firstly I would like to ask you that on March 18, 2017, there were many names and your name was also there in the run up to the CM. And at that time our channel Republic TV wasn't launched and Venkaiah Naidu had called an emergency meeting of MLAs. And people outside started saying "Modi in the centre and Yogi in the state" (Desh mein Modiji aur pradesh mein Yogiji). People were hearing this slogan that time; so, when did you receive this news? Who called you up? And what was your reaction at that time? Did you expect it? Tell us what happened on March 18.

Yogi Adityanath: Look...in the afternoon of March 18, the national president of the BJP, honourable Amit Shah ji asked me to take oath as the chief minister of Uttar Pradesh on the next day. Before this, on March 16, I had a meeting with the national president during the BJP parliamentary party meet. During the elections, we were there on many campaigns and we met on different occasions but it was our first meeting on March 16 after the elections. He had asked me to talk over this so I went to meet him. He told me that I have to take a responsibility. On 17th I had gone back to Gorakhpur. I reached back at about 4 pm and I got a call around 6 pm from the BJP national president. He asked me where I was and I said, I have returned. He said, you should have stayed in Delhi. I asked if there was something important and he said, is there any way you can come back to Delhi? Because at around 6 pm there is no commute back to Delhi,  I said, right now won't be possible so he said, ok I'm sending you a chartered flight tomorrow, please come back to Delhi. The moment I landed there at 11 am, the party chief gave me the news. After that I had to come back to Lucknow on 18th and on 19th,

Arnab Goswami: What was the reaction?
Yogi Adityanath: What reaction. I work for the public, I did not desire any position but a responsibility is given to me. The PM, the party national president gave me a responsibility and I'm trying my best to fulfill that responsibility. I'll try my level best to fulfill their expectations.

Arnab Goswami: There is a lot of curiosity. There is a nationwide curiosity regarding you. There is a lot of curiosity about your image, about the person you are. In the last 100 days, the biggest transition people say, and I'm going to be open about my questions, don't feel bad...the biggest transition has been yours. Your previous profile, of you being the face of Hindu politics -- I'm talking about your image before March -- you were the face of Hindu politics. Now your positioning is that of a development-oriented chief minister. It is a huge change of image. Is it deliberate, is it true, what do you have to say about this?

Yogi Adityanath : See Hindutva is not against development. This is an important message to convey. Why is there an attempt to make Hindutva communal? Hindutva is a synonym  for development. It is a synonym for growth and prosperity. It backs the idea of sabka saath, sabka vikaas (together we prosper) and we are moving ahead with that idea.

Arnab Goswami: I agree to that but there was also a time, where within the BJP people used to say, Yogi Adityanath's views within the BJP as well were considered hardline views. People used to say, this is not the point of view of the BJP --  mainstream BJP --  this is the hardline point of view. I'll give you an example, now when you started the Love Jihad campaign in 2014, several BJP leaders said, this is not the BJP's national campaign. This is a campaign by the local leaders. Sushil Kumar Modi, a big BJP leader from Bihar said, Yogi Adityanath is not the face of the BJP. He also said, he's one of the 40 campaigners of the BJP in UP. So even within the BJP, there was opposition regarding your views and Yogiji you have to agree to this. Now when you look back, how do you reflect on it?

Yogi Adityanath: What our government is doing is in front of everyone. Without any discrimination, we are just working towards attaining our goals. Whatever we used to say, whatever we were known for, today we have done all of that. However, when the result of the same is coming out, people are questioning the fact on whether these should be the results of it. Then they are surprised, whereas we are still doing what we always used to say.

Arnab Goswami: That's true, but people are interested in you. Yogiji whether you like it or not, even earlier I said, there is a lot of focus and interest in Yogi Adityanath. People want to know in 2014, the by-elections had taken place in UP and I'm sure you remember that BJP had lost those elections. In fact, at that time you could not address a lot of public meetings then. You were...

Yogi Adityanath: I was stopped...

Arnab Goswami: You were?

Yogi Adityanath: I was stopped. I was stopped at that time by the ruling party. They had not given me the permission for the meeting. At several other occasions due to weather circumstances, we could not hold meetings. Inspite of that you see the by-elections are usually that of the ruling party. There is lesser scope in that. Inspite of that the BJP had managed a few places. As in out of 5-6 places BJP, I remember had won 3 seats. But the issues raised by the public and the ones filtered by them are the only ones we can work on. Finally, we had to execute the anti-Romeo squad because our sisters and daughters were not safe. No, why I'm saying this is because it is a link to the same chain, so this is exactly what we're linking.

Arnab Goswami: So the public meetings you were not allowed to address then, did you agree that your poll strategy faced a lot of opposition within the BJP itself?
Yogi Adityanath: See, the BJP had not stopped me at that time. The then-ruling state government, Samajwadi party, had stopped me from being a part of those meetings.

Arnab Goswami: So there was no internal opposition?

Yogi Adityanath: No, there was no internal opposition. The problem was that I was being called for the meet, but the problem was even if I would go they would not give the permission. Even if they would give the permission, it would be cancelled the last minute. Like the Lucknow meeting: we have permission till 5. It is with me in writing that we have permission till 5. I have taken a flight from Delhi to Lucknow to be there and it is deliberately cancelled thereafter. These were the circumstances in the state at that time.

Arnab Goswami: Let me come to the last 100 days. You have taken many decisions in 100 days. Let us get into the specifics ,Yogiji. I would ask you questions on them. Many days back it was reported that your government -- Uttar Pradesh home secretary Arvind Kumar -- said that there should be a fearless atmosphere to file cases -- police cases -- without consideration for religion or caste; without religion, caste, community; not to think about it when you file a police case. And you yourself Yogiji have asked director general, police chief to file FIRs without thinking of religion. I want to directly ask you Yogiji: The nation asks you a simple question and would want a simple answer for it.
Do you feel that the directive you have given to file FIRs without thinking about religion or community is because you felt that FIRs of Muslim community were not filed earlier?
Yogi Adityanath: Look, the government belongs to 22 crore people. Whenever there was any crime during the rule of the earlier government, culprits were given protection. Earlier,  when the riots took place, the government gave protection to the rioters. The victims were sent off from the police stations and their FIRs were not lodged. And on the first day itself, we said that 100 percent FIRs should be lodged. Examine the case and probe into the matter, without any discrimination, against the culprit. This is a part of our mission in which we have said, sabka saath sabka vikaas. We will provide justice to everyone -- but we would not do discrimination with anyone. We will enquire in every mission in which we feel that a person is breaking the law -- but if anyone says that they get relieved on the basis of caste, creed or religion, we won't let this happen.

Arnab Goswami: Did people get relaxation earlier on the basis of religion or caste in the earlier government?

Yogi Adityanath: The earlier government had discriminated. It divided the society on the name of family, caste, creed and religion. This sort of discrimination used to take place. No enquiries took place. Riots took place. Biased enquiries took place on them. During this time, FIRs have been lodged, collected and 100 percent FIRs have been lodged. If any victim lodges an FIR and we get a complaint that the police station refused to lodge the FIR, then the punishment is also being decided.

Arnab Goswami: You have taken many decisions in the first 100 days. And I felt, when I was looking at the decisions Yogiji, because I had met you and I felt after that, many were saying that these were controversial decisions. Why was Yogi Adityanath making such controversial decisions in the first two weeks? The biggest decision was this: illegal slaughter houses and if my Hindi is correct then, awaidh buchadkhaane. You took decisions related to illegal slaughterhouses. You took this massive decision...now in a big state like Uttar Pradesh, your critics say that why only this decision was taken? Why only the decision to shut down illegal slaughter houses was taken? There are so many big decisions -- law and order decisions -- communal polarisation is there. So why this decision was taken by Yogi Adityanath? Because he was trying to make the Hindu community happy and he wanted to show that he won't do Muslim appeasement. Muslim appeasement won't be done. You would also agree that this was your target...
Yogi Adityanath: Look, any decision that we have taken is without discriminating any person, any family, any caste, any creed or any religion. We have taken decisions for the welfare of the state. We haven't only shut down illegal slaughter houses. We have also stopped illegal mining. We have also scrapped illegal toll collections in the state. We have also controlled the mafia seizing of public and government land. We have taken action against all of these. Strict enquiries have been conducted. We have taken action against illegal slaughtering because there were directions by the NGT and the Supreme Court regarding this matter. The Supreme Court had issued a direction on illegal slaughterhouses in February 2017 itself. We took a cue from that guideline to follow it and take action on it. I feel if the law is to be put in place, it is important to follow the guidelines of the judiciary on time with proper effect.

Arnab Goswami: Yogiji ,  I am not raising a question on your context. I am not questioning on the decision you made and the direction you took. But you slightly avoided the question I asked you.

Yogi Adityanath: I am not avoiding anything.

Arnab Goswami: Slightly avoiding it.

Yogi Adityanath: There is only one religion in the context of illegal slaughtering. I feel your thinking is only wrong. There are different sections of people in this. People from both the sections. If the guidelines of the NGT are not being followed, then I feel that we won't allow our officials or the government to face the law. We have very clearly said that we won't allow illegal slaughtering in Uttar Pradesh.

Arnab Goswami: Were you trying to send a message to the Muslim community? You were sending a message to the Muslim community.

Yogi Adityanath:  We haven't sent a message for anyone. Our enquiry has taken place without any discrimination in the entire state.

Arnab Goswami: What are your views on Muslim appeasement?

Yogi Adityanath: :Look, there should be no discrimination against anyone. But there should be no appeasement of anyone. This is real democracy.  We are the flag-bearers of that truthful democracy which provides development, justice and the benefits of the law without any discrimination.

Arnab Goswami: What is your view on the Akhilesh Yadav government and Muslim appeasement?
Yogi Adityanath: The decision of the public indicates what the previous government had done.

Arnab Goswami: The second decision which you took, and you were making one controversial decision after another. The second decision was 'anti-Romeo squad.'  This decision was also taken in the early days after you took over as the chief minister. You said that you want to stop the harassment of the women. You want to curb the teasing of women. But I would want to ask you that what is the need for this? I am putting across my point of view. Those who want to be Romeos, be Romeos. Those who want to be Juliet, be Juliet. What is the role of the government in this? What was the need of the government to come into this?

Yogi Adityanath: Have you ever been into the core of Muzaffarnagar riots? If you had been to the places where more than 450 riots have taken place in the past 5 years, then in most of the cases, girls were harassed, their kidnapping...these incidents have been responsible for this. The governance and the administration kept quiet. To stop all these incidents and activities, we have to get to the core of it. During the election campaign in the entire state, we felt that anywhere we went, whenever we got an opportunity to sit with a family, the female members of the family just said one thing to us everytime. And it was said that the girls were not safe. Many families sent their girls to study to their relatives. Those who had resources sent them to hostels.  There was such a visible danger over safety. The government came... we talked about this in our election manifesto; that when the government comes in power, we will form the anti-Romeo squad. And we formed the anti-Romeo squad as soon as we assumed power in Uttar Pradesh. After the formation of the anti-Romeo squad, in Uttar Pradesh, more than 13,55,000 people were identified who were found doing such activities. We segregated 8 lakh people out of the total and looked upon their birthplace, their job, whatever they were doing. They were sent to their families. They were made to understand. Nearly 5 lakh cases were reported in which enquiries were done on sending them to their families. And legal actions were taken against the rest. It was big mission. It hasn't stopped. This is a continuous process and shall go on.

Arnab Goswami: I will not beat around the bush. I will ask you directly.
Yogi Adityanath: Ask me directly.

Arnab Goswami: I always ask directly. I will not beat around the bush. You have in the past 2-4 years, your political statement and career. Infact, I have studied your political career carefully. You have spoken a lot about Love Jihad and interfaith couples, Hindu-Muslim couples. are you against Hindus marrying Muslims and Muslims marrying Hindus? Question one. Question two. is this anti-Romeo squad an extension of your Love Jihad policy? Answer these two questions directly.

Yogi Adityanath: See if due to any act a question of safety arises in the society. If there is difficulty in maintaining law and order the I am of the opinion that the government should not just sit idle. Our guidelines for anti-Romeo squad were clear that if any boy and girl are sitting in a park with mutual consent then we will not bother them. If there is a boy and girl walking together on the street and they might be brother-sister as well, the police won't bother them. And whenever such a thing happened, the police and government had launched an inquiry into the matter. But tell me one thing: if someone is sitting somewhere in midnight, why should they sit there at such a time? Someone may come attack them. Police has informed them regarding the consequences. They have to tell them that they shouldn't sit there like that and go home. They shouldn't walk the streets at such a time. Everything has a time. It is the police and the government's duty to ensure their security. We did that and we also want to make clear that whatever happens between people with their consent is none of our business. But if it poses a threat to security and law, then the government will not sit idle.

Arnab Goswami: So you are not against inter-religious marriages?
Yogi Adityanath: See, if someone does it with mutual consent then both the sides can do it. If one side is not protesting, the other also should not.

Arnab Goswami: Your third policy which took everyone by surprise Mr. Yogi, was your decision to dissolve the Shia-Sunni Waqf board. On April 19, the Central Waqf board had recommended that the board should be dissolved due to allegations corruption. A lot of people say that your decision was really quick.
Yogi Adityanath: I had only asked for a CBI inquiry on the Waqf board's request and the state government had already asked for a CBI inquiry in the past as well.

Arnab Goswami: But the Allahabad High Court passed an order against your order saying that the Waqf board members were not given an opportunity to speak during the dissolution.
Yogi Adityanath: We have launched a process of inquiry which will happen with time.

Arnab Goswami: Will Yogi Adityanath fight the judiciary over this? Will there be a clash between the judiciary and Yogi Adityanath regarding this?
Yogi Adityanath: This is not a clash. The government is infact, in the process of acting upon the judiciary's orders and inquiring into the same as per the orders.

Arnab Goswami: Some of your critics say that it is an anti-Muslim move

Yogi Adityanath: This is not an anti-Muslim move. When the Waqf board itself is stating this, then I think where has the thousands and crores worth of property gone? There has to be an inquiry into this and after the central Waqf board itself demanded an inquiry, we just approved their request.

Arnab Goswami: Before going to the next question, I have to ask you this. have you ever though that now that you have become the chief minister you will not take controversial decisions? Till one year at least I will be non-controversial. Be it the anti-Romeo squad, be it the illegal slaughterhouses or the Waqf board decision. These are all controversial decisions. Why didn't you go for a more non-controversial approach in your first hundred days?
Yogi Adityanath: You only stated three. There are more, state them as well.

Arnab Goswami: I will. Because you do not avoid controversy.
Yogi Adityanath: I will take those decisions. I am and will continue taking them. Whatever we have done for the development of the state is not your agenda. The many development schemes we have implemented are not on your agenda. Why are you only focusing on the controversial agendas and not on what we have done for development?

Arnab Goswami: Development is definitely there and you have done a lot for the development and the government is also focussed that way. But even you will agree Mr. Yogi that you are a very prominent political figure in the country today and hence your political views will remain in focus. Can i continue with my line of question?
Yogi Adityanath: Yes
Arnab Goswami: My next question to you is in regard to the Ram Janmbhoomi movement. You have said on many occasions that Rram temple will be built. You said it in June, in February. There is an expectation that the Ram temple will be built during your tenure as chief minister. The question is that people who are expecting this, are they rightly expecting?

Yogi Adityanath: See expectation is never wrong. If they are expecting this, then it's good that they have such a wish. But the state government is not a part of this. I had gone to Ayodhya and I myself told the people of Ayodhya that with mutual agreement, you should come to a consensus. And whatever the state government can do from it's end, It will. But first both the sides should reach a consensus.

Arnab Goswami: I differ with you on this perspective. If I put across my perspective then you had in said in 2015 at a two-day saint convention in Haridwar that the central government and the Sangh Parivar will play an important role in the construction of the Ram temple and you also called upon people to extend support. You said people should extend their support for the construction of Ram temple. Somewhere there is a feeling that you are disregarding the court's orders
Yogi Adityanath: What has the Supreme Court said? It has said that with mutual agreement come up with a solution and I think if with mutual agreement one can come to a conclusion then it will be good. Even we are saying that both sides should together and if a problem still exists. I both sides won't sit together then evidently whatever decision the court takes won't live up to their expectations. Infact the court has supported this stance. The Chief Justice has himself said that if both sides sit together and take the decision it will be good. And we welcome this decision and I said the same thing in Ayodhya.

Arnab Goswami: A month back you had said that the construction of Ram temple in Ayodhya should be by consensus. You talking about mutual agreement, but it does not look like it will happen with mutual consent but it is in fact a matter of court.
Yogi Adityanath: You did not mention the statement of the Chief Justice in the Ssupreme Court. If you had studied that, a lot of things would have been cleared.

Arnab Goswami: No i have read it. Infact on May 21...I do my research and come.
Yogi Adityanath: You wouldn't have asked me that question

Arnab Goswami: In March the court had said that if a out of court settlement happens, it will be good. But is it possible?

Yogi Adityanath: Yes, why not. What is impossible? Everything is possible. And everything can be solved through talks.

Arnab Goswami: What role will you play in this?
Yogi Adityanath: First both should sit together only then will a way arise and then when they approach us, we will think about it.

Arnab Goswami: Are you ready to play your role in this? What will be your role in this?
Yogi Adityanath: Right now the state government has no role in this. It is not about the party, it is about two sides. When two sides will talk to each other and reach a consensus, the matter will come in front of us. We'll discuss it and if we can find a solution to the problem then we can play a positive role in the same.

Arnab Goswami: On June 20, about a week back, the Vshwa Hindu Parishad has started bringing stones in trucks, that's what's being reported. And the feeling is Yogiji, that the matter is sub-judice. The title of the land has not been decided but the feeling is that somewhere you have given your approval for all this. You're allowing Vishwa Hindu Parishad to bring stones and you are building a pressure of sorts.
Yogi Adityanath: See the stones are not for the land for which the matter is sub-judice. The stones must be going for Karsevak Puram. There is a difference. Kar Sevak Puram is different and Ram Janam Bhoomi is different. If the stones are coming into Kar Sevak Puram then the state government should not stop it and the state government should not be a part of it. The matter is sub-judice but you must remember that the land where Ram Leela resides, that particular peace of land has been designated as Ram Janmabhoomi by the court.

Arnab Goswami: So these stones that are coming are coming with your approval or disapproval?
Yogi Adityanath: What did i say? I said, there is no approval required for this. If there are stones coming into Kar Sevak Puram, I don't think there is any approval required for it.

Arnab Goswami: Don't you think, Yogi Adityanath should stop this?
Yogi Adityanath: No. If the law is not coming in the middle of it, then there is no need for my interference.

Arnab Goswami: On May 30, when the court hearing happened, all the cameras were focussing on it in Lucknow. Advaniji, Uma Bhartji and all your senior BJP leaders, Murli Manohar ji, Dalmiaji, i think everybody was there. Yogiji, if Iwere to say the truth, everyone was surprised, when you yourself. And have had personal relations with them. Obviously you've led a public life. When you yourself went to the guest house and met everyone before they went to court. Your critics (and I will say critics as you have many) said, why should a chief minister give a sendoff to people who are going to make a court appearance? You were showing solidarity.
Yogi Adityanath: No but why not?

Arnab Goswami: What was the need for you to go there? Why did you go? You're a CM , why did you have to give a sendoff?
Yogi Adityanath: Why shouldn't I? Why shouldn't I go? Advani ji has come, Joshiji has come, Uma Bharti ji has come or if there is a prominent leader who has come why shouldn't I go to meet them? (pause) why shouldn't I go and meet them?

Arnab Goswami: You were not meeting them. You were giving a message.

Yogi Adityanath:  I was not giving any message. This is your thought. I had gone to meet them. And I had gone to them expressing a feeling of respect towards them.

Arnab Goswami: But you're the CM.
Yogi Adityanath: But a CM is also a person (smiling). I had gone there in the capacity of a person. Even from the point of view of the state, to ensure their security and the fact that no inconvenience is caused to them is also my duty. Which is why I had gone there and also. I'd gone with a feeling of respect that I expressed.

Arnab Goswami: But my sense is and what my opinion on this is, may I share it with you?

Yogi Adityanath: Yes, sure.

Arnab Goswami: The feeling is that Yogi Adityanath has given a clear message, that in the Ram Janmbhoomi matter, Yogi is completely with them. All of those who are accused of criminal conspiracy and in his term, the CM will work towards the construction of a Ram temple.

Yogi Adityanath: Why not? That is your thought, fair enough.

Arnab Goswami: Is your thought wrong?
Yogi Adityanath: Who is calling your thought wrong? Who can call a mindset wrong? However, I think you can disregard the feelings of the masses. You can not let it go for a long time. The truth will prevail.

Arnab Goswami: And what do you mean by the masses? Who are you referring to?
Yogi Adityanath: That you can think...

Arnab Goswami: Regarding Ram Mandir?

Yogi Adityanath: You can think whatever you want to think and decide.

Arnab Goswami: You are saying it and then you are going back on it. I feel there are two sides to Yogi Adityanath. One is the CM and one is the politician. What is the contradiction between the two?
Yogi Adityanath: There is no contradiction.

Arnab Goswami: See, sometimes I feel that you have to control yourself as a politician. Because I've seen you as a poltician. You're a very fiery politician. And you know yogi ji, I myself, many a times....
Yogi Adityanath: (interrupting) Right from the beginning I've been seeing a contradiction from your side itself to whatever you have been saying. I myself am surprised (both laughing)

Arnab Goswami: See, Yogiji; is there a different side to Yogi Adityanath, the politician and Yogi Adityanath, the CM?
Yogi Adityanath: See within the state, as a CM, I will take whatever step benefits the state.

Arnab Goswami: Yogiji, I'd like to ask you about law & order, as it is your primary issue and you have spoken a lot about your development agenda. On March 23, you had stated, 'rule of law will be established in the state'. The SP, BSP are constantly criticising you on this saying there are lot of incidents of crime taking place. There are several people and groups close to Yogi Adityanath. Like the Hindu Vahini group which Yogi Adityanath does not control. I'd like your response on this.
Yogi Adityanath: See, law & order is going to prevail in the state and I can tell you this with completely accountability. Irrespective of who it is, if someone takes law into their own hands, then the authorities will ensure the same is dealt to him without any sort of leniency.

Arnab Goswami: Be it anyone? Even if he is from your Hindu Yuva Vahini.

Yogi Adityanath: Anyone. Be it anyone. In this matter, we have not let anyone off the hook when it comes to this matter. Anyone who takes law into their own hands in the state will not be allowed to get away. First this. Secondly, this completely spoilt law & order system has been passed on to us as heritage by SP & BSP. Earlier, crimes used to be committed and the criminals got political protection. Today, if anyone commits a crime, the behaviour dealt to him and where he/she is going -- it is for everyone to see. Police, during this time, has worked out all cases and all matters have been resolved. Criminals are behind the bars. Whichever incident you look at, action has been taken, strict action has been taken and no one has got off the hook because of his/her connections. If someone is a criminal, then action has to be taken against him.

Arnab Goswami: Mayawati has said in context of the Saharanpur riots that the Bharatiya Janta Party did not want peace there. She said that Yogi Adityanath should have intervened in the clashes that were taking place between Thakurs and Dalits but he let the riots happen. She said this on May 23.

Yogi Adityanath: See, this has happened for this first time when in the state of Uttar Pradesh, a new government has come in and there have been no riots for 100 days. First time it has happened that caste related clashes were controlled by the state police.
Arnab Goswami: Are you talking about Saharanpur?

Yogi Adityanath: Yes, I'm talking about Saharanpur. If Mayavati would not have gone there, the matter would not have escalated so much. Which is why the DM & SSP were suspended later. They were careless. They should not have allowed Mayavati's program to have happened there because matters were sensitive. It was a mindful decision -- she had been made her aware of the fact that her decision could prove self inflictive. You should not have taken a decision like this. You should have taken the administration into confidence. However, if you have decided if something goes wrong, you'd be answerable for it. If Mayawati would not have gone there, it would not have been a caste clash. In the backdrop of the caste clash, the role of the SP & BSP has come to light.

Arnab Goswami: This is a big statement you are making that in the last 100 days ever since you've taken charge not a single riot has occurred. However, Mayawati says, that whatever has happened in Saharanpur, your own party's MP, Raghav Lakhan Pal ji was involved in this.
Yogi Adityanath: See, the two are not connected. The issue of Raghav Lakhan Pal was linked to the Shobha Yatra of Baba Saheb Ambedkar. These two topics are not connected. Raghav Lakhan Pal's issue dates back to April 20, whereas these clashes took place post May 9, not until Mayawati's program. Things actually worsened, when Mayawati went there. And today all those responsible for Saharanpur clashes are in jail. Have you ever seen action been taken so promptly? Whosoever the culprit, action has been taken. Strict action has been taken. A clear msg is out -- whosoever tries to mess with the law will not be forgiven.

Arnab Goswami: There is always an attempt to provoke. I don't know if you have heard but just today, Azam Khan gave a statement against the Indian Army. There are all sorts of comments. There will be attempts to provoke but are you saying that whether it is a Hindu group or a Muslim group or a group from any other community, there is action against all.

Yogi Adityanath: Action is being taken against everybody. We are not discriminating between anybody.

Arnab Goswami: Yogi ji, there is one comment: a lot of your comments and sound bytes keep making headlines and since people want to know your perceptions, you are an emerging national leader, there was a comment made on June 17. People want to know your views on India's cultural history. Are you looking at Hindu history only through a Hindu lens? You made a statement on June 17. Please don't say I'm not asking any questions on development agenda because your other comments are also very newsworthy.  You had said that Taj Mahal does not reflect Indian culture. I would say whether it is Taj Mahal or Golden Temple or Qutub Minar or Tirupati, everything represents Indian culture. Why did you say that Taj Mahal doesn't represent Indian culture?
Yogi Adityanath: I didn't say that. Had you heard that statement, I was clear: my statement was clear that before this, India's identity revolved around Taj Mahal and we have taken that identity to Srimad Bhagvad Gita and taken it to Ramayana. Now if you want to compare Ramayana and Srimad Bhagvad Gita with Taj Mahal then I must it is unfortunate.

Arnab Goswami: are your views...
Yogi Adityanath: Our identity cannot revolve around Taj Mahal.
Arnab Goswami: Why not?
Yogi Adityanath: This India can be identified with Ramayana; India can be identified with the Vedas, India can be identified with Srimad Bhagvad Gita, Puranas and additionally with various traditions. But if you link India's identity solely with Taj Mahal then I think I don't fall within the ambit of this naivety.

Arnab Goswami: But what if I say that india can be recognized by Ramayana,
Yogi Adityanath: Why not?

Arnab Goswami: Kamakhya Temple also...

Yogi Adityanath: Certainly.

Arnab Goswami: Golden Temple also and by Qutub Minar and Taj Mahal also.

Yogi Adityanath: It was restricted to Taj Mahal alone.
Arnab Goswami: Who had restricted it?
Yogi Adityanath: Everybody knows who did it. The so-called secularists in this country had done it. They gave rise to a type of situation and tried to curtail the real identity of India  that makes this country what it is and represented this country in front of the whole world but they restricted it to just Taj Mahal and it was in that context that I made the statement.

Arnab Goswami: In 2005, in Etah you had made a statement about Hindu rashtra and I will quote you. I have an English translation of your statement. You had said "I will not stop till I turn up and India into a Hindu rashtra". What the nation wants to know Yogiji: do you still hold the same views?
Yogi Adityanath: What is India's name? Isn't it also called Hindustan? Will you remove Hindustan? What does Hindustan mean? I want to ask you what Hindustan means? I wasn't the one who gave the name Hindustan.

Arnab Goswami: Hindustan is not only for Hindus.

Yogi Adityanath: No, I haven't given the name Hindustan so if Hindustan doesn't mean only for Hindus then Hindu rashtra also doesn't mean only for Hindus.

Arnab Goswami: So when you say "I will not stop till I turn up and India in a Hindu rashtra", you do not mean it will not be a secular state. That is not what you are saying? I'm seeking a clarification on that.
Yogi Adityanath: Which community is more secular than Hindus? What is your definition of secular if you specify it will be better. Secondly, if Hindu and secular -- if secular means equality of all religions, then there is nobody more secular than Hindus. And if secular means only badmouthing and insulting Indian traditions, Indian culture, Indian history and our great men, then I don't think there is any need for this kind of secularism here.

Arnab Goswami: No that is extreme. I'm telling you since you asked me my position on secularism. So I will say - for me secularism is equality for all religions, no appeasement of any religion, and no discrimination against any religion either. That is my understanding.
Yogi Adityanath: But has this happened? Within this definition of secularism in India, the 'no discrimination on the basis of religion and traditions' that you speak of -- has that happened in India? Have the secularists followed this? These so called secularists of this country have made secularism only a means of appeasement. One particular religion was made a tool for appeasement. Is this secularism? I think secularism in reality, is bringing into reality the thought & principles behind it and that should have happened. They presented a distorted picture of secularism and that became a symbol of polarisation in the country and we condemn it.

Arnab Goswami: Beyond being the up chief minister, you recently went to Bihar. You have a certain significance within the BJP. Yogiji, you spoke about dinner diplomacy there and about presidential elections. You had said that you will fight for the removal of the present govt in Bihar. Can you explain your views on that?
Yogi Adityanath: I am unable to understand your question.

Arnab Goswami: You had said, "What has Nitish done? Why is Nitish Kumar not talking about Triple Talaq? We don't differentiate on the basis of religion or caste. We will ensure BJP government in Bihar in 2020". Do you see your role going beyond up?
Yogi Adityanath: See, whatever I said in Bihar was very clear. There is no point in asking a question on that today. Whatever I had to say in Bihar, I did.

Arnab Goswami: In the last 100 days, you have consistently praised PM Narendra Modi. People want to know that in the 100 days, how has your working relation been? Many people even draw comparisons in working style. Can you tell our viewers, to what extent do your policies and directions get guided and influenced from the guidance of the Prime Minister?
Yogi Adityanath: See, there is no intervention in the government. But yes, the government has to on various issues, have discussions with the PM, the general secretary and various central leaders. We hold discussions on various issues and we seek their advice. Ours is a new government. There are a lot of issues on which we need to seek advice and there are a lot of issues on which we need help from the centre. So I take guidance from honorable Prime Minister and from national secretary and also invite central ministers here, we had even invited NITI Aayog here. The state should have all-round development and we sought guidance on that.

Arnab Goswami: Yogiji, leaving aside politics, you have surprised a lot of people because when you became the CM a lot of people said that Yogi Adityanath has experience in politics but he does not have too much experience in governance. Now people say that you work 18 hours a day. Even your strongest critics will not question your working style and the amount you work. Your commitment in the farmers' issue -- you have waived off a large sum of loans at this when the farmers are distressed. You are being called the 24x7 chief minister. You have cut down government holidays. People don't get leaves these days in Yogi Adityanath's government. There is a no tolerance approach towards corruption;  you have worked on land mafia. These are all your achievements. What is your biggest challenge, Yogiji? What is the biggest challenge you face? You said that you have inherited a system. What is the biggest challenge?
Yogi Adityanath: See, in this state in the last 15 years, the work culture had completely disappeared. Institutions were destroyed  for individuals in this state. In this state, for personal selfish gains, institutions were surrendered to corruption. This state has, in the last 15 years, seen sacrifice of institutions for families and caste. To rise above that distorted system and to establish a new work culture in the state which can make the developmental schemes reach the people of the state without any discrimination, can stop the migration from the state and take the state in a new direction where Uttar Pradesh can stand in the category of developed states where the people of this state will be proud -- that is the direction where we are trying to take the state.

Arnab Goswami: What is the time frame you are working with? 2 years, 3 years, 4 years, 5 years? What is the target you have given yourself?  2019 or 2020?
Yogi Adityanath: 2019 will be our first exam.

Arnab Goswami: 2019 as in general elections?
Yogi Adityanath: Nation's general election will be our first exam. With that in mind, we are working towards are schemes and will move forward.
Arnab Goswami: Yogiji, what are your personal ambitions? You are very young, you are in your mid 40s. You are one of the youngest politicians. One of the youngest CMs of the state. When you became the CM you said 'I'm only a little older than Akhilesh Yadav and a little younger than Rahul Gandhi'. You have a long political career ahead of you. What is your political personal ambition?

Yogi Adityanath: I have not entered politics for a long haul. I am not a full time politician.

Arnab Goswami: Why do you say that?
Yogi Adityanath: I say that because politics is not my profession. I have entered politics to serve for some time. I will serve whole heartedly for as long as I can.
Arnab Goswami: But why do you say that you are not a full time politician?
Yogi Adityanath: I say this because politics is not my full time job. I have not entered politics so that I can surrender my lifetime to politics. I have accepted politics as a means to serve the people and the responsibility that I have been given I will discharge it sincerely so that I can meet the expectations of Prime Minister and general secretary but this is not my full time job.

Arnab Goswami: What do you see as your full time job?
Yogi Adityanath: My full time job is what people give me

Arnab Goswami: Yogiji, I must thank you. You have spoken very freely and spoken on a lot of issues. I'd like to congratulate you on your 100 days in governance. You have had a very very good track record and people will see the different perception of yours through this interview. You said you're not a full time politician and that is a very interesting statement. Thank you for talking to me.
(By Republic World)

No comments:

Featured Post

जसबीर कविता मंच द्वारा काव्य संग्रह 'प्रकृति और भावनाएं' का विमोचन

जसबीर कविता मंच डॉ. जसबीर कौर ने 2020 में संस्थापित किया। इस काव्य मंच पर सभी कवि कवयित्री अपने मन के उद्गार व अनुभूतियां सांझा करते हैं। इस...